Challenge-of-the-Day: Laugh Out Loud!
If you’re a member of the Sonic Boom Wellness program, you’re already familiar with our Challenges-of-the-Day (CODs). If you aren’t a member, CODs are daily dispatches aimed at educating (and entertaining!) our beloved Boomers – inspiring DAILY action to help them lead happier, healthier, more-enriching lives. And now that we’re getting our blog on, we’d like to share a small preview of those challenges with YOU, so you (and your loved ones) can do the same… Enjoy!
We all love a good laugh. Whether we’re watching our favorite primetime sitcom or reminiscing about the past with a childhood friend, there’s nothing that soothes the soul like a big ol’ belly laugh.
Taking life too seriously (typically because of stressors at work, in our relationships, and/or our finances) can take a toll on our health over time. But, by actively seeking out more opportunities for fun and laughter, we can do more than “just” have a good time – we can actually improve our emotional health, strengthen our relationships, and live happier (and longer!) lives.
Laugh out loud! Not sure how to start? Try some (or all!) of these:
- Host an impromptu joke challenge! Gather some friends, family, or coworkers and swap hilarious stories, funny videos, or your favorite jokes (keep ‘em work-appropriate if swapping with coworkers, please)! Whoever makes the group laugh the most, wins!
- Don’t have time to get the gang together? Laugh out loud on your own! Think of a funny memory, watch a silly video, or read a goofy story – you’ll be amazed at how a short burst of laughter can brighten your day.
- Just start laughing. Seriously – force out a big-fake belly laugh, and keep it going until it turns into a real one. Surprisingly, it should only take a few seconds of faking it before you’re hootin’ and hollerin’ for real. (You may want to try this one in your car, though – or in the comfort and privacy of your home. But if you’re brave, laugh it up out in the open!)
The healthy perks of honest-to-goodness laughter
Laughter isn’t just good for the soul – it’s beneficial for the body, too!
Chuckles, chortles, giggles, and yuks can all yield a full-body workout. In addition to improving your mood, laughter offers a bounty of body-boosting benefits, including:
- Lowered blood pressure
- Increased blood flow
- Strengthened diaphragm and abdominals
- Strengthened facial, leg, and back muscles
- Heightened response of disease-killing cells
- Boosted memory and learning ability
- Improved alertness
- Improved creativity
- …the list goes on and on!
Don’t let the stresses of life get ya’ down – laugh out loud about something funny and turn your day around!
Flippant Writer Extraordinaire