What “Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day” looked like at Sonic Boom
Healthy living was in full swing at Sonic Boom – only this time, our kids took center stage
We’ve always been inspired by the love-of-life (and endless supply of energy) that kids have. In fact, we’ve built many of our programs around helping adults “get off the sidelines” and find their inner child again. The way we see it, if we can make building healthy lifestyles “fun,” people of all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, and interests will be more inclined to get involved, and they’ll stay committed to their goals. That’s been our approach to driving long-term behavior change from the very beginning, and we won’t be changing our tune any time soon.
So when “Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day” rolled around last month, we saw it as the perfect opportunity to put our principles into practice and watch a new generation of wellness unfold at work. After all, what better way to observe the kinds of social interactions that could (and should!) occur in each and every workplace than by encouraging (re: unleashing) our kids to let their guards down and engage in some fun-n-healthy activities with each other?
While it would have been plenty fun to give our kiddies a small peek into our professional lives, we wanted their visit to be extra-special (and extra-engaging). So we didn’t merely “bring” our kids to work – we created a superhero-themed activity fair to engage them and help them (and us) get the most out of their visit to Intergalactic HQ.
- Challenge-of-the-Day – We put one of our most-popular programs to the test and kicked off the festivities by warming up with a light stretching session
- “Recycla-bowling” – Kids of all ages aimed to knock down the highest number of empty alkaline-water-bottle “pins” for the glory of the high score (for the record, my two-year-old scored a wicked three pins)
- Boomer Coloring Extravaganza – In his most exciting, super-heroic scenario yet, our old mascot “Boomer” served as a canvas for the imaginations of our younger Boomers
- Superhero Scavenger Hunt – Just in time for the release of Avengers: Infinity War, older kids tackled a handful of deviously difficult riddles to track down and piece-together (literally!) the LEGO-versions of their favorite Marvel heroes and villains
- Healthy(ish) Snacking – Kids created their own healthy(ish) trail mix using cashews, raisins, pretzel sticks, yogurt-covered raisins, Cheerios, and M&Ms (hey, a little indulging now-n-then doesn’t hurt!)
We’re a family here at Sonic Boom. We’re super-proud of the culture we’ve created, and it’s such a joy whenever we can share it with our loved ones. This may have been our first “Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day” event, but you can bet it won’t be our last! Just wait and see what we have planned for next year.
We had fun letting our kids play and interact at our Intergalactic HQ – but a corporate office is just one of the many workplace environments where Sonic Boom thrives. People of all ages, industries, and geographic regions enjoy the Sonic Boom program – from tech firms to local municipality workers to construction crews. Wellness at work doesn’t have to be hum-drum – take a cue from the kiddies and have some fun!
Flippant Writer Extraordinaire